If you are a veteran and have questions regarding your health, the MHMRs in Texas could be the answer. There are 38 centers in Texas that help veterans with trained and caring professionals. You probably live next to one and simply are not aware of the help that is so near to you. These centers strive to develop services for persons in a wide variety of areas.
Some veterans have recently experienced Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and are getting the information that is helping them get their lives back on track. PTSD is an anxiety disorder that can occur after you have been through a traumatic event. A traumatic event is something horrible and scary that you see or that happens to you. During this type of event, you think that your life or others' lives are in danger. You may feel afraid or feel that you have no control over what is happening.
Anyone who has gone through a life-threatening event can develop PTSD. These events can include:
- Combat or military exposure
- Child sexual or physical abuse
- Terrorist attacks
- Sexual or physical assault
- Serious accidents, such as a car wreck
- Natural disasters, such as a fire, tornado, hurricane, flood, or earthquake
After the event, you may feel scared, confused, or angry. If these feelings don't go away or they get worse, you may have PTSD. These symptoms may disrupt your life, making it hard to continue with your daily activities. The mission of the Betty Hardwick Center is to assure the delivery of a network of services to our customers that optimizes individual potential for wellness, independence, dignity and responsibility.
Our Vision: Our vision is a community where people with mental illness and intellectual and developmental disabilities are valued citizens who achieve recovery and independence.
- Individual Worth - Everyone is valued and recognized for their contributions.
- Quality - We consistently strive to be effective and efficient while achieving customer satisfaction.
- Integrity - We believe in always doing the right thing.
- Customer Service - We take pride in providing the best possible services to all of our customers.
- Teamwork - Only by working together with all stakeholders can we achieve our mission and realize our vision.