The Army Women’s Foundation recognizes the importance of education and the role it plays in personal, professional and economic fulfillment. The Army Women’s Foundation Legacy Scholarship Program provides grants to women soldiers, past and present, and their lineal descendants to help them attain their educational goals.
The Legacy Scholarship Program offers financial support in four areas: Certificate programs, Community College coursework, Undergraduate Degrees, and Graduate Degrees. Scholarships are awarded only for coursework from accredited institutions. Scholarships are based on merit, academic potential, community service, letters of recommendation, and need.
- Community College and Certificate Program Legacy Scholarships will be awarded up to $1,000.
- College, University, and Graduate Program Legacy Scholarships will be awarded up to $2,500.
- Applicant must be a woman who has served or is serving honorably in the U.S. Army, U.S. Army Reserve, Army National Guard or the child of a woman who served honorably in the U.S. Army, U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard.
- Community College Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must be a high school graduate with a 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) or GED and must be currently enrolled in an accredited community college.
- Certificate Program Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must be a high school graduate with a 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) or GED and must be currently enrolled in accredited Certificate granting institution.
- College and University Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must be currently enrolled at an accredited college or university and have completed 30 credit hours of course work and with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Graduate Program Legacy Scholarships:
Applicant must have achieved an undergraduate degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and must be enrolled in or accepted into a Graduate level program — Masters or Doctoral.
Selection of the Legacy Scholarship recipient(s) are made by a Scholarship Committee appointed by the Board of Directors of the U.S. Army Women’s Foundation. Each level of scholarship award will be evaluated and considered separately by the USAWF Scholarship Committee who will also determine the number of scholarships awarded for each level and the amounts of each scholarship. Army women will be considered in one category and the children of Army women will be considered in a separate category. In this way, peers will compete with peers. Past AWF Legacy Scholarship recipients may receive a total of two awards in any category except Graduate Studies which may only receive one award. For example, a recipient may be selected and awarded one year for the University Scholarship award and the next year applies as a graduate student. They are eligible still for the one graduate studies award.
The scholarship funds may be used to assist with tuition, fees, books, and school documented room and board. Scholarships are awarded only to students attending accredited institutions. The funds will be sent to the academic institution for documented expenses and must be used in the academic year awarded. The academic year of the award begins the Fall semester after the award announcement. These funds may not be used for prior academic expenses. If selected, AWF Legacy Scholarship recipients are to provide:
a) a photograph and a statement for use in AWF publications, newsletter, website, social media, and marketing materials, etc. and
b) follow-up information and feedback as to how the AWF scholarship assisted in their education for AWF research and marketing.
All application materials, including online application form, essay, official transcript(s), two recommendations, proof of matriculation at designated accredited academic institution, as well as commander’s verification of active duty or qualified documentation of the sponsor or woman’s service (e.g. Department of Defense Form DD-214, Honorable Discharge Certificate, etc.) must be submitted and postmarked by January 15, 2017.
List of Required materials:
- Online Application - This form is required and must be submitted online. You may apply for only one scholarship. Online application form can be found at: http://goo.gl/forms/2f9HkSn1Q2NR2mGB2.
- Commander’s verification of active duty or qualified documentation of the sponsor or woman’s service (e.g. Department of Defense Form DD-214, Honorable Discharge Certificate, etc.)
- An official transcript from their college or university is required. For new applicants to a community college, high school transcripts or GED documentation must accompany the application.
- Two letters of recommendation (on letterhead for reference letters) with titles and contact information are also required. One letter of recommendation MUST be from a school advisor, counselor, dean of students, professor, etc. Letters of recommendation should demonstrate why a Legacy Scholarship should be awarded to the specific student.
- The application requires a short essay (2 pages or less, typed, double-spaced) highlighting why the recipient should be considered for this scholarship. The essay must address future plans as related to the applicant’s selected program of study and must include pertinent information in assessing an applicant’s other areas to include community service, activities, and work experience. The applicant must also address specifically how the Army has impacted their life and/or goals.
- All materials must be labeled with applicant’s name and postmarked by the deadline for consideration and selection.
- All materials should be sent directly to:
P.O. Box 5030
Fort Lee, VA 23801
POSTMARK DEADLINE: JANUARY 15, 2017